Double Digits

Holy cow, here we are again...

Happy double digit birthday, my dear boy, our sweet summer surprise.  Although recently you even forgot you were almost 10, so let's just have the practice of making you never older start now. ;)

Every single time I've thought about this over the last six months, I've bawled. It's cliche, but it's truth. We blinked and a decade watching you grow has flown by. It's no longer difficult to rest my chin on your head and it won't be long until you can look me straight in the eye.  But just know, even when you'll tower over me, I'm your biggest fan.

You are one of my favorite human beings and not just because you made me a practicing mama. You are an interesting, intelligent, amazing, funny, loving human being.  I genuinely enjoy being in your presence and learning from you.

This year has been rough for my heart as I watch you grow, knowing that each new change takes you a step farther from a little boy and closer to the man you're becoming. While I look forward to meeting him, I'll never quite be ready to let those little pieces of you go. Knowing that the nights you want to snuggle up to read a book and sleep next to me might be coming to an end and that each could unknowingly be the last time.  I secretly was so happy the night you "couldn't sleep" and came into my room, because waking up from a nightmare and needing Mama hadn't happened in ages.

Our time together during quarantine spring and summer 2020 has been such a blessing because it's been a way to keep you close for a moment longer, letting you be a kid without the judgment of peers, and keeping the world from changing you too quickly. The changes this year have brought us good things and the gift of time for you to catch up on your sleep, become confident in riding your new bike, and to just be. My heart hurts knowing that the decisions we have to make for your 5th grade year aren't exactly what you'd imagined and that you'll be leaving the school family you've built for the last five years.  You are a smart, resilient guy and I know you'll do your best and be successful.

This year you have stepped up to help around the house and with your sisters. You impress me with your knowledge and understanding as well as your sense of humor.  We've also seen the growly, grumbling tween and are getting to know him too.

I pray that God continues to grow your heart in a relationship with Him, that you seek Him in everything, and that you shine the light of Jesus to others. I pray that this next year creates beautiful memories for you and experiences that grow you ever more into the wonderful young man you are becoming.

I love you most, always and forever. You are the best thing that ever happened to me.

Love, Mama

This past year (in reverse...)















































































































Comments

Popular Posts