Freedom to Choose


We have four beautiful children who were born of crisis pregnancies and blessed their families through adoption.  So it may not make sense that I'm pro-choice. Being pro-choice doesn't mean I would choose abortion for myself. It means I choose to love my fellow human beings, and stand beside them in their time of choosing what is best for themselves.

I'm pro-choice because I believe that every woman should have the autonomy to make the appropriate, informed, medical decisions for her body and her life. Unless you are currently experiencing or have experienced a crisis pregnancy, it's not your business. States don't regulate male reproductive organs, so why are we regulating only women? Last time I checked both sperm and egg are required for reproduction.  

When my choices found me 16 and pregnant, I gave myself two choices because I knew I wouldn't or couldn't make the third. One of my four parents was the only one to stand up and say "no, you have three." Knowing that parent, who loves me fiercely even though they didn't birth me, would be there beside me no matter what, meant everything.

Being a birthparent and ripping your own heart out is not easy or chosen lightly.  Parenting is not easy. I'm sure that choosing abortion isn't easy.

I thank God every day that our childrens' birthmothers and I were able to make the best decision for our children and ourselves. I pray every day for the strength to navigate the pain I know they are walking through by choosing what they felt was the best for these children we love. 

Adoption is not an option for everyone.  Neither is parenting. Neither is abortion.  

I think about my daughters, granddaughter, nieces, sons, nephews, and other humans I love as I learn about the effects of the Supreme Court reversal of Roe v. Wade.

I've walked a path of crisis.  I had four parents, all with different beliefs and ways they supported me.  One of them, one who doesn't share an atom of my DNA, stepped up and put themselves at potential risk in their own marriage, by offering me the third option. An option not readily available in Wyoming or supported by the other three parents.  An option they presented to give me a choice about my life and my future and provide me with support. An option I knew I wouldn't take, but meant the world to me.  Do I think they agree with abortion? It's irreverant because what they believed in was loving me enough. They knew that being a parent is hard, navigating stepparenting is hard, and that raising children and providing for their needs is a lot.  I know had I made that choice of abortion, they would have never left my side. 

It doesn't matter how I personally feel about abortion.  I care about my loved ones and being an ally to them, an ear, a hug, and a loving place to land should they ever find themselves in a crisis pregnancy, whether as a teen, adult, single, married/partnered human. I want them to have safe, health options in regards to any aspect of their human experience.  No judgement.

Sanctity of life is more than outlawing abortions. It's proving and providing equality and safe options for all families, whether as single parents, married, partnered, widowed, lgbtq+ humans. It's providing excellent health coverage to everyone, paid parental leave in excess, having affordable and reasonable child care options that line up with work options and pay. It's providing adequate systems so that there aren't formula shortages or housing crises. It's providing options so parents can educate themselves and not be forced to stay in abusive relationships or live in poverty. 

Just because I chose not to have an abortion doesn't mean I think I have the right to make or take that choice from someone else. I'm a Christian, but know that my choices and life are between me and God, as are yours. 

How can I say I believe in God and be pro-choice? I believe that God is love. Jesus is love.  He didn't ask us to judge the sins of another or regulate our human existence based on our interpretations.  He told us to love God and love our neighbors.  LOVE!

Comments

Popular Posts