September 2nd

My first memory is September 2, 1982  exactly two weeks before my third birthday. It's obvious why that day is etched in my mind, however it's interesting what the memory is.

I remember waking up from snuggling in my parents' bed on a sunny morning, soaken wet. As a little girl I thought I'd wet the bed, but now I know that probably wasn't the case.  I remember taking a bath then watching "Blinky's Fun Club" in the living room with my Grandpa Mc, in our wooden rocking chair and our brown patchwork quilt. 

These were my last moments as an only child. Strangely I don't remember meeting my baby brother Jason. I just know from that moment on, I was never alone in this world. I had a built-in best friend, an early birthday present, a protector, and someone to take care of. Knowing myself and the stories I've been told about little Jenni, I probably thought he was my very own baby.  

Nearly every childhood memory I have from then on is with Jas. We were typical siblings who fought as much as we got along. 

Again I don't remember the exact conversation, but I know that when our world shattered in fall 1989, our dad told us that no matter what happened, the two of us would always have each other to count on.  


Some of my biggest memories include Jason.  We were in each other's weddings, attended each other's Master's graduations, fell in love with each other's babies.


And even though I'm sure we will drive each other bonkers at times, I'm blessed that he's my brother. 

Happy 40th, Jason!

Comments

Popular Posts